How to access a Router in GNS3 with Security Device Manager
Following are the steps to install and Configure a Cisco Router in GNS3 with Cisco Security Device Manager.
Step1: You need to install SDM on your PC first to access the Router running in GNS3. A tutorial is available on How to install SDM on PC
Step2: Create a Microsoft Loopback Adapter so that the Router in GNS3 can be connected to your PC that is running GNS3.
In XP operating system
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- If you are in Classic view, click Switch to Category View under Control Panel in the left pane.
- Double-click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Next.
- Under See Also in the left pane, click Add Hardware,and then click Next.
- Click Yes, I have already connected the hardware, and then click Next.
- At the bottom of the list, click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
- Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
- Click Network adapters, and then click Next.
- In the Manufacturer box, click Microsoft.
- In the Network Adapter box, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
In Windows 7 operating system
- Click the Start menu.
- Search for “cmd".
- Right-click on “cmd” and select “Run as Administrator”
- Enter “hdwwiz.exe”
- From that point on it's the same approach as under Vista, i.e.:
- In the "Welcome to the Add Hardware Wizard", click Next.
- Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" and click Next.
- Scroll down and select "Network adapters" and click Next.
- Select under Manufacturer "Microsoft" and then under Network Adapter "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" and click Next.
- Restart your PC once you finished the above steps.
- Create a topology in your GNS3 and configure the interface fa0/0
Step3: Connect Router's Fa 0/0 with the Cloud in GNS3
Step4: Configure Router so that it can be accessed via web-based interface of SDM. Also configure Microsoft Loopback Adapter.To configure Microsoft Loopback Adapter, go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections" and open the properties of "MS LOOPBACK ADAPTER" and assign the ip address, subnet mask and Gateway.
To configure the Router in GNS3, we need to configure the following commands on the Router. R1(config)# interface fastEthernet 0/0 R1(config-if)# no shutdown R1(config-if)# ip address 10.1.1.4 255.0.0.0 R1(config-if)# exit R1(config)# ip http server R1(config)# ip http authentication local R1(config)# ip http secure-server
Step5: Accessing the Router using SDM from your PC.